Tips for spells can range from basic pointers for the beginner to nuggets of wisdom for the more seasoned spellcaster. However, we could all do with a little help from time to time and it's easy to forget some of things we learn along the path to becoming an experienced and effective witch. So I have compiled a list of some of what I consider to be the most important tips for spells that I have learnt or have been shared with me and hope you can find the use in them too! So, in no particular order:
1) One of the top tips for spells that I can give you if you're just starting out is when seeking out other people's spells to perform go for the spell you feel drawn to. It means that it is speaking to you on a psychic connection level and this will help you to be able to tune into the right powers when you come to performing it. Also don't go for the wildest claims or showiest assertions. No spell should claim to be able to change your life overnight. However that quiet, modest little spell may well be the one to make a small change that sets off events that lead you to where you want to go in life.
2) When writing your own, make them as personal as possible. Don't get too hung up on trying to copy another's style or methods. While it can help in the initial stages to see how others work, you will always be more potent in your spell work if you can identify with your spell and can see your own strengths in it.
3) Use good tools. Eventually, most witches splash out on tools made for purpose. It can help with the feel and atmosphere of your altar or work space and can also help in that they are designed specifically. That said, it is not essential and if you find yourself with an attachment to a particular object, then stick with it for as long as you want to.
4) Consecrate any space you work in regularly. Many witches will argue that it is always essential for you to consecrate the area and tools you use but I don't necessarily agree. However, it's made it on to my 10 tips for spells list as it is a very powerful ceremony for instilling a sense of security and confidence in the work space. You will feel it is more sacred and 'owned' by you. Smudging with lavender and sage is effective yet simple.
5) Work with good ingredients wherever possible. The more natural the better as you will draw so much more power from the earth's resources this way, eg. if you're using fresh flowers, make sure you cut them yourself if you can.
6) Sixth of my tips for spells is to prepare yourself. This is a beginners mistake largely and can come from being in too much of a hurry to get started. Unfortunately spells aren't always as convenient as we'd like them to be and you will get nowhere by rushing. You will be a whole lot more effective if you find a pattern of getting yourself into the right frame of mind. It can be taking a relaxing bath surrounded by candles, using meditation or getting dressed into the clothes that you feel provide you the right energies. It could even be a combination of all 3 but experiment to find what's right for you.
7) Further to tips for spells number 6 above, you should also not be in a hurry to see the results. I have found spells that have taken months to work and it has turned out to be much better for me than I originally imagined! Have faith in the higher wisdom at work and trust that the right timing is all in hand.
8) Be realistic. Wonderful things can be achieved with the right spell and a lot of hard work, determination and ability. But don't try to copy things you might have seen in TV or films.
9) Work with the seasons or moon cycles. This is about incorporating the energies that are around you in the universe. It's all there to be channelled so why waste it! You will learn to be able to recognise the various energies around you as you become more adept at tapping into them and can then plan your spell work in advance.
10) This may be my last tip for spells but it is actually one of the most important. Remember the Wiccan Rede - harm none. Do not try to do anything that will harm others or try to change their free will. Be responsible in your work.
So there are my 10 favourite tips for spells. I hope you have fun putting some or all of them into practice and that your efforts and work reaps the rewards!